Monday, March 24, 2014 at 7:00pmCelebrate the Tournament of Books, the granddaddy of high-brow bracketology that pits the year’s best books in a literary cage match with one winner: the coveted Rooster. Enter a giveaway for ToB swag, enjoy free drinks from our media partner, Tumblr, and hear readings from ToB judges past and present taking a break from the competition to celebrate their very favorite books:
- author and New Yorker writer Elif Batuman (The Possessed: Adventures with Russian Books and the People Who Read Them)
- author and co-proprietor of The Awl Choire Sicha (Very Recent History)
- novelist Elliott Holt (You Are One of Them)
- author and Oxford American editor Roger Hodge (The Mendacity of Hope)
- New Yorker editor John McElwee
- Andrew Womack and Rosecrans Baldwin (Paris, I Love You but You’re Bringing Me Down), the co-founders of The Morning News
For those of you in NYC, toward the end of the Tournament of Books, we’ll be having a party at the incredible Housing Works Bookstore! Also there has been word of Sriracha lollipops being made for the occasion. Hope to see you there!
I repeat: Sriracha. Lollipops. Oh, and this really impressive lineup and the ToB and whatevs.
"Allegory can reveal what realism can’t — and vice versa. What Oyeyemi does here is mix their powers, filleting the American landscape by setting this fairy tale inside of it, and the resulting novel is by turns quixotic, bewitching, funny and intense, a revelation."
I am about 85% into Boy, Snow, Bird and can assure you it is walking-while-reading good.
Come celebrate with me and some of my favorite authors at Housing Works on March 19th at 7pm!
HAPPY FIRST BIRTHDAY TO OUR PODCAST!
The 27th episode includes James Hannaham reading an excerpt from his story in Story Magazine’s “B-Side,” Emily Gould reading from her MFA vs. NYC, and Michael Kunichika, Sergio De La Pava, and David Gordon discussing some classic Russian writers.
This Week at HWBC:
Tonight we are throwing a party about a zine about soups called Stock Tips! Dave Bry, Ben Schwartz, Kevin Nguyen, and Jaime Green will be joining the zine’s creators Ami Greko and Rachel Fershleiser for soup-y storytelling. Bring your own stock recipe for the Stock Exchange. Get it? It’s funny. Come.
The Moth StorySLAM is back tomorrow with Blood, Sweat, and Tears. Get here early because it always sells out!
On Wednesday for Brain Awareness Week, we have Mind Reading, featuring Stefan Merrill Block, Meehan Crist, Timothy Donnelly, Leslie Jamison, Miles Klee, Elissa Schappell, and Lynn Schmeidler sharing writing about all sorts of brain-related things.
Finally, on Thursday, everyone’s favorite Ask Roulette with WNYC’s Jody Avirgan. This time, Jody will be joined by Lizzie O’Leary, Matt Zoller Seitz, and Ashok Kondabolu aka Dapwell. It’s going to be crowded, so please be sure to get here early if you’d like a seat!
HWBC Weekly Roundup
- five books by Brooklyn authors you can look forward to
- people are still burning books :’( and it’s not just this Kickstarter guy :’(
- an essay about Wes Anderson’s new movie and the texts on which it’s based
- three essays on punctuation
To interact with:
- The Smiths’ Website has this cool timeline thing now
- Daylight Saving Time!!!
- hey that means it’s ~spring which means it’s ~warm