On January 8, 2011, the world’s most famous burlesque performer turns 100 years old. Join LIVE from the NYPL for a centennial celebration of the birth of Gypsy Rose Lee: novelist, playwright, New Yorker essayist, fashion icon, actress, activist, member of New York’s literati, world-famous “ecdysiast” and subject of one of the best-loved musicals in American history. Be amused and appalled by dramatic readings from never-before-published letters in Gypsy’s archives, housed in the New York Public Library.
Special guests include Jo “Boobs” Weldon (author of The Burlesque Handbook and Headmistress of The New York School of Burlesque) who will perform a burlesque tribute to Gypsy, Miss Tickle (three-time “Burlesque Hall of Fame” Trophy Winner in 2010) who will honor the birthday in true burlesque style—by popping out of a cake, burlesque legend Bambi Jones, The Rhinestone Follies, burlesque musician and historian Albert Garzon, “King of Boylesque” Tigger! (voted the “performer most likely to be shut down by the law” by the New York Burlesque Festival), “Burlesque Mayor of NYC” Jonny Porkpie and others!
God, I love this so much I want to make awful cliche jokes about “not your grandma’s public library.” Seriously, NYPL, major points for badassery and cultural relevance.
- memejelly likes this
- pathlost likes this
- librariansciences likes this
- pramlattas-hips likes this
- thekeylime reblogged this from jiffysquid and added:
- annalsofyes reblogged this from housingworksbookstore
- annalsofyes likes this
- sadierex reblogged this from jiffysquid
- thepointedword reblogged this from housingworksbookstore and added:
- capitalnewyork reblogged this from housingworksbookstore and added:
- bookalicious reblogged this from housingworksbookstore
- bookalicious likes this
- npclaridad reblogged this from housingworksbookstore
- jujuistrulyoutrageous likes this
- flavorpill likes this
- housingworksbookstore posted this