Last night’s amazing show with David Wax Museum in Instagrams. If you missed it (and you missed out, it was magical), you can catch them at Mercury Lounge on November 30.
Here’s a playlist for events/contests happening at Housing Works Bookstore Cafe:
- David Wax Museum (Tomorrow!)
- Will Oldham (Bonnie “Prince” Billy) book release w/ McNally Jackson
- David Byrne & St. Vincent at the Bowery Ballroom/ Ticket Contest
This week! Here it is; sorry this is later than usual, we were Occupying.
- Today is the last day of the Kid’s Book Sale! Come on in for 30% off and $1 paperbacks.
- Tomorrow 9/18, we’re kicking off a great fall Live From Home lineup with David Wax Museum. There are still tickets available, buy online or at the door. Doors at 7:30PM, show at 8PM. Check the band out on NPR’s Tiny Desk here.
- Thursday 9/20 is the Moth StorySLAM. Mind your manners (the night’s theme), and plan to be in line by 6PM or so for the 7PM show. $8 at the door.
- Sunday 9/23 is Gotham Writer’s Workshop on article writing with Ken Dery. Free! 11AM in the cafe.
Boom! A couple heads up: we close at 7PM on Wednesday and at 6PM on Friday for private events.
I made y’all a Spotify playlist of our upcoming Live From Home artists! Check ‘em out, get tickets, rock out in a bookstore.
- David Wax Museum, 9/18 (tickets and info)
- Jerrod Niemann, 10/1 (tickets and info)
- Jake Shimabukuro, 10/2 (tickets and info)
- Milo Greene, 10/24 (tickets and info)
- Kat Edmonson, 10/24 (tickets and info)
- We’ll be announcing another show for 10/29 next week! Stay tuned (get it).
This week, we’ve got food, drinks, stories, and kid’s books:
- Tonight we’re celebrating the first-ever graphic novel cookbook for downtown vegetable heaven Dirt Candy with chef Amanda Cohen and her cohort. Free food from Dirt Candy, free drinks, and a dramatic reading of recipes. All the wins. Free, 7PM.
- Tomorrow is The Moth StorySLAM, theme “Unintended.” Plan to be in line by 6PM; $8 at the door.
- Wednesday at noon tickets on on sale for Live From Home with Milo Greene and Kat Edmonson, Wednesday, October 24.
- Thursday we’re celebrating Cole Stryker’s new book Hacking the Future with a panel on privacy and anonymity online. Free drinks and cheese!
- And today kicks off the weeklong Back to Books Kid’s Sale. We’ve got $1 paperbacks and it’s 30% off all kid’s books, from picture books to YA and everything in between. And don’t forget to bring your wee ones (ages 0 to 3) for Storytime and Singalong every Wednesday at 10:30 AM with Beth and Amy.
Stuff We like
A girl gave me her number last night and told me that we “have to hang out” and then she revealed...
“I lifted the steaming coffee to my lips, breathing in the bitter aroma and feeling the warmth...”