Escape the heat wave while enjoying a cold one in our glorious air-conditioning at this week’s events:
- Today kicks off the Summer Fiction Sale! All things not true, totally made up, definitely not semi-autobiographical no sir, lies lies lies on sale, including children’s, YA, comics books, and regular ole’ fiction books. Thirty percent off our already discounted prices, all for charity, you can do no wrong, come buy all the books.
- Tomorrow we welcome Emily Gould, Sadie Stein, and Lukas Volger for a discussion on Laurie Colwin and Home Cooking in 2013. If you eat food (do you?) you won’t want to miss this. We are making gingerbread for it!
- Wednesday, Ask Roulette is back inviting you to ask a stranger a question! Totally not creepy, swear. With special guests Jamie Shupak, Mike Doughty, Jess Dweck, and as always house band Eli Bolin.
- And Thursday The Moth StorySLAM will explore the theme Wanderlust. Line up early for 7pm doors.
- Happy Day Happy Hour will end a little early on Friday; we close at 6pm for a private event, but you can enjoy cheap booze and board games from 10am to 6pm.
- And on Sunday Gotham Writers’ Workshop offers a free article writing workshop at 11am in our cafe area.
BRB, gonna stick my head in the freezer.
This week at Housing Works Bookstore Cafe, our events look at Valentine’s Day from every angle! And then teach you how to be funny while writing, which is maybe something you need after Valentine’s Day week.
Tonight is the first night of The Recital, a new series in which writers and performers turn the bookstore into an old-fashioned red schoolhouse so they can recite by heart 1-3 minutes of poetry or prose they have memorized. Hosted by writer Rachel Syme and Slaughterhouse 90210's Maris Kreizman. The theme for this week is Swoon!
Tomorrow join us for The Moth StorySLAM! This time the theme is Love Hurts. Tickets are $8.
Wednesday Coverspy helps you find your bookish mate with I Like Your Glasses: Literary Speed Dating. This event is sold out, but if you missed it this time be sure to sign up for the waitlist so you can hear about the next one!
On Friday, double the events and also fun as our weekly Slush Pile Happy Hour (4-8pm) is joined by funny lady country trio Ménage à Twang's return to the bookstore for My Country Valentine: an Alt-Valentine Mixer at 7pm!(Notice: This event was previously ticketed but is now FREE.)