Here’s what we’ve been reading this week within the cozy confines of the Housing Works Bookstore Cafe…
And here’s what we’ve been pondering…
What’s the scariest cartoon of all time? Our contenders include a Mark Twain claymation and Fear(s) of the Dark, a mind-bending monochrome anthology.
HWBC Weekly Roundup
This week at Housing Works Bookstore Cafe! Enjoy a full slate of events before we take a break for the holiday party season; but don’t worry, the whole store is 10% off the entire month of December, and What the Dickens? A Christmas Carol reading is back and better than ever. All events are free and begin at 7pm unless otherwise specified.
- Tonight, we welcome The Minimalists, Joshua Fields Milburn and Ryan Nicodemus, who will tell us how to shun our possessions and live a better life. Sounds pretty good post–Black Friday, eh?
- Tomorrow we’re welcoming back The Baffler for "Ayn Rand: The Game Show" with Thomas Frank and Julie Klausner.
- Wednesday we’re super excited to be hosting the Bushwick Book Club as they celebrate Mark Twain in song. Guaranteed good times.
- And Thursday we host a discussion of Canada’s Polaris Prize with founder Steve Jordan and journalists Alan Light and Maura Johnston.
- We close at 6PM Friday, then this weekend is the Monthly Sale: 30% off storewide. We love you too.
"Censorship is telling a man he can’t have a steak just because a baby can’t chew it."
Mark Twain (via libraryland)
Twain would have been totally down for the Banned Books Week Party tomorrow! And the official afterparty at our neighbor Botanica Bar: half-off a drink with a complete “Name that Banned Book” contest form, and $1 off drinks all night.