Jen Doll at Housing Works Bookstore, 4/15/14
And Jenn Doll continued her April residency here at Housing Works. Up next, finally, her own launch party for Save the Date: The Occasional Mortifications of a Serial Wedding Guest on May 1!
Kathleen Hale at Housing Works Bookstore, 4/15/14
Kathleen Hale, author of No One Else Can Have You, was charming and hilarious at last night’s panel of first-time authors. We have signed copies here, come get one! Her signature is pretty much the best signature ever. You’ll see.
Justin Taylor, one of my I-will-read-anything-you-write-and-as-soon-as-it’s-available writers has a new collection out this summer. I’m excited! So are you!
In honor of when Rachel ran this Tumblr and it was a Justin Taylor fest, FYI. (Your current Tumblr-er is also a fan of Mr. Taylor’s.)
Edit: so is Colin the Intern.
HWBC Weekly Roundup
- Making a list of poets for National Poetry Month? Here’s a list of things to ask yourself before you make that list
- In 1968, an illustrated book called How To Be a Nonconformist was published; here’s some of the great pages
- Um, Wikipedia as books?
To Check Out:
- The best Reggie Watts’ reaction GIFs from Comedy Bang Bang
- Vans made cat shoes, Vans made cat shoes, VANS MADE CAT SHOES
It’s NATIONAL POETRY MONTH! We have some special events to help you celebrate.
On the 8th, Tom Sleigh, Dennis Nurkse, Rachel Hadas, Nicole Cooley, Peter Cooley, Alex Cigale, and Sophie Cabot Black will be here for the premier reading of Plume Anthology of Poetry 2013.
And at Downtown Literary Festival on the 13th, there are a couple poetry events: an Alice Notley book club happening all day at McNally Jackson, led by Rachel Zucker and Cassandra Gillig, and at 2PM at the Bowery Poetry Club, Timothy Donnelly, Lynne Melnick, Rachel Zucker, Marcella Durand, John Godfrey, Stacy Szymaszek, Kim Lyons, Filip Marinovic, Charif Shanahan, Erika Caufman, John Coletti, and Patricia Spears Jones will be reading Notley poems at "The City Drifting."
Then, The Saltonstall Arts Colony Poetry Reading on the 17th will feature Saltonstall alums Judith Baumel, Jaime Shearn Coan, Jay Deshpande, Robin Beth Schaer, and Ocean Vuong.
And finally, we’re having a poetry sale from the 14th to the 20th! Come in and buy all the poetry books, yeah?
This Week at HWBC:
Tomorrow Comedy Notebook with Liam McEneaney is back! It is April Fool’s Day after all. This time, he’s here with Colin Quinn, “TV’s Frank” Conniff, Carla Rhodes, musical guest Andy Shernoff, and host Rob Paravonian.
On Wednesday, our monthly food series, DISH, is back! Josh Morton of Barrow’s Intense Ginger Liqueur will be providing drinks to start the night, followed by an appetizer of info from the upcoming Food Book Fair, dinner from author of The Secret Financial Life of Food: From Commodities Markets to Supermarkets Kara Newman, and for dessert, Four & Twenty Blackbirds creators Melissa and Emily Elsen.
Finally, Thursday we’re hosting OCTOPUS! A Discussion of Animal Intelligence, Behavior—and Robots. Amanda is really really excited for the discussion about octopuses with author of Octopus! The Most Mysterious Creature in the Sea Katherine Harmon Courage, bio-robotics researcher Frank Grasso, animal intelligence scholar and philosopher Robert Lurz, and cephalopod behavior expert Jennifer Basil to talk about octopuses and more!
Oh and don’t forget this weekend is the monthly sale! 30% off everything in the store all day Saturday and Sunday. Come and get everything your heart desires.
HWBC Weekly Roundup
- Prep for National Poetry Month with a list of the saddest female poetry because there’s a kind of offensive/controversial book coming out. Anyway. Three of my favs are Louise Gluck, Chelsea Martin, and Sharon Olds, and they’re on this list, so it’s automatically a good list. Enjoy your tears.
- ICYMI the entire lineup for the 2014 Downtown Literary Festival is now available! Check out downtownliteraryfestival for all the details and to stay up to date on events.
- I’m a fan of CHVRCHES and also this video of the 1988 Crystal Light National Aerobic Championship Opening (the song is amazing/everyone in it is amazing/Alan Thicke hosted?) SO THE COMBINATION OF THE TWO IS OBVIOUSLY THE GREATEST THING THE INTERNET HAS DONE ALL WEEK!
"You’re the Lord of my Flies, and you can unzip them anytime."